You are invited to attend the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the International Practice Section (IPS) of the Washington State Bar Association (WSBA).
When: Friday, September 23, 2016, from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
Where: University of Washington School of Law. William Gates Hall. The address is 4293 Memorial Way NE, Seattle WA. The CLE will be in Room 117. The reception will be in Room 115 (and the outdoor terrace if the weather is nice).
(Map on the Global Gavel)
(UW map: http://www.washington.edu/maps/)
What: This year, the AGM will have three components.
- 4:00 – 5:00 PM: CLE. “Ethical Obligations when Working with a Foreign Client through a Foreign Lawyer”. A one-hour ethics CLE on attorney ethical obligations under the Rules of Professional Conduct when working with a foreign client through a foreign lawyer. The CLE will focus on the special challenges and ethical risks that arise when a Washington lawyer communicates with a foreign client indirectly, primarily interfacing with the client’s foreign lawyer. Tom Kelly of K&L Gates will be presenting.
- 5:00 – 5:30 PM: Annual General Meeting of the International Practice Section. IPS members will elect officers and Executive Committee members and conclude other IPS section business. Details below.
- 5:30 – 8:00 PM: Reception (with heavy hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar). The reception not only gives IPS members and practitioners an opportunity to re-connect with each other, but also includes the following additional component and purpose:
LLM/JD Students Reception and Mentoring Program. LLM students, and JD students interested in international practice, at the University of Washington School of Law and the Seattle University School of Law are invited to attend the reception at no charge. In addition to hosting the reception, IPS will facilitate matching LLM/JD candidates with mentoring opportunities with practitioners.
- Practitioners attend the entire AGM event (including CLE and reception) at no additional charge if they are IPS members in the current membership year (October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016).
- For practitioners who are not IPS members in the current membership year, the event cost is $40 (which is the same amount as the section dues for the current membership year).
LLM and JD students:
- LLM and JD Students can attend the reception and participate in the mentoring program at no charge.
- LLM and JD students can attend the CLE at no additional charge if they are student members of IPS in the current membership year (October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016). For students who are not student members of the IPS in the current membership year, the cost to attend the CLE is $18.75 (which is the same amount as the section dues for student-members of IPS for the current membership year).
How to be a practitioner member or student member of IPS?
- Please note that the last day to pay section dues to become a member of the IPS in the current membership year (October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016) is August 31, 2016.
- After August 31, 2016, payment of section dues entitles you to membership in the next membership year, which starts on October 1, 2016.
- Practitioners who wish to become a member of IPS, please click here to join the International Practice Section.
- Students who wish to become a student member of IPS, please click here , click the “Are you a law student?” link near the top of the web page, then fill out the form and click the “Apply Student Discount” button, then click the “Add to Cart” button for the “International Practice” section, and then check out to complete the process.
How to sign up for the September 23, 2016 event?
- Practitioners who wish to register to attend the CLE and the reception, please click here: https://www.mywsba.org/OnlineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=10301194&page=sem&mt.
- Practitioners who wish to be a mentor, please complete the form at the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/Y5Wr9uAMkmLUlGjl2. Practitioners do not have to be an IPS member in order to sign up to be a mentor.
LLM and JD Students:
- Please go to this web form https://goo.gl/forms/emxxncExiAgknkXt2 to sign up:
– To attend the reception; and/or
– To request to be matched with a mentor (whether you will attend the reception or not).
- If you wish to attend the CLE, please click here: https://www.mywsba.org/OnlineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=10301194&page=sem&mt.
- Questions regarding the CLE can be sent to Leonid Kisselev at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions regarding the reception can be sent to Elly Baxter at email@example.com
- Questions regarding the mentors and mentees can be sent to Monica Sham (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Linda Chu (email@example.com).
Annual Meeting of the International Practice Section
The AGM will be conducted immediately prior to the reception, and will include the election of officers as well as two positions on the executive committee. The following is a list of nominees selected by the nominating committee and approved by the executive committee for nomination:
Officer Positions and Names of Nominees up for Election (one year terms):
Chair: Bernard Shen
Chair-Elect: Matthew Dresden
Immediate Past Chair: Fraser Mendel
Secretary/Treasurer: Leonid Kisselev
Communications Chair: Eriko (Elly) Baxter
Executive Committee Positions, Terms and Names of Nominees up for Election:
Position #3 (to 2019): Carly Chan
Position #4 (to 2019): Francisco Gomez Olmedo
Executive Committee Positions, Terms and Names of Members Whose Terms are not Expiring:
Position #1 (to 2018): Joaquin Hernandez
Position #2 (to 2018): Linda Chu
Position #5 (to 2017): Holly Vance
Position #6 (to 2017): Megan Lutes
Directions, Transportation and Parking:
Driving a car or riding a motorcycle: enter the UW campus from the North Entrance (intersection of NE 45th Street and 17th Avenue NE):
- From I-5: take Exit 169 to NE 45th. Travel east on NE 45th Street to 17th Avenue NE. Turn right and head south on 17thAvenue NE (which becomes Memorial Way NE on the UW Campus).
- From Highway 520: exit north onto Montlake Boulevard NE. Turn left onto NE Pacific Street. Turn right and head north on 15th Avenue NE. Turn right and head east on NE 45th Street. Take your next right and head south on 17th Avenue NE (which becomes Memorial Way NE on the UW Campus).
- Ask the gate attendant for a parking pass in a parking lot near the law school (N1, N4 or N5); cost is $5 after 5:00 p.m.
Riding a Bike: free parking racks are available next to the law school building.
Riding a Bus: scroll down and click on the University District tab in this website for Bus Routes to the UW: http://metro.kingcounty.gov/schedules/neighborhoods.asp
The International Practice Section of the Washington State Bar: Founded in 1984, the Section has a broad focus on international law, custom and practice and includes members who focus on international transactions, litigation and arbitration, immigration, labor and employment, export control, regulatory compliance, tax, foreign investment, intellectual property, foreign aid, human rights and public interest. Our members come from a wide variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds and practices including practitioners at large, medium and small firms, in-house counsel, and counsel at various government agencies and non-profit organizations, as well as foreign lawyers, professors, internationally-focused law students, judges and those intellectually interested in international law and custom.