The WSBA World Peace Through Law Section (WPTL) will hold a CLE, “Using International Law in Domestic Practice.” The International Practice Section (IPS) is co-sponsoring the CLE, so IPS members are eligible for (i) a $25 discount for either the in-person or the webcast registration and (ii) a free reception after the CLE regardless of your attendance of the CLE.
This exciting CLE will highlight how international law – often a body of law that is constantly developing yet considered nebulous – can be incorporated into the everyday domestic practice in the United States. The program will inform how international law can function in business law, criminal law, family law, civil rights law and in environmental law. Practitioners will receive an overview of relevant international laws and thought-provoking examples and theories of application to domestic cases. It will also look into intersections and influence of human rights in domestic law and include a judges’ panel for the view from the bench.
– Judicial perceptions and interpretations of international law with the Hon. J. Richard Creatura, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington (Tacoma); and the Hon. Jack F. Nevin, Pierce County Superior Court
– Environmental law and international law
– Civil rights as human rights
– Changes international law has made to Washington contract law
– Civil aspects of international child abduction
– Comparative criminal law
– Contract negotiation and dispute resolution for non-U.S. clients
– Civility and the practice of law: impact of bias and assumptions on professional and personal relationships
All attendees are invited to attend a reception immediately following the program hosted by the WPTL and IPS.
Date/Time and Schedule:
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 8:25 A.M. – 4:45 P.M.
8:00 a.m. Registration Opens
8:25 a.m. Seminar Begins
4:45 p.m. Adjourn
Washington State Bar Association
1325 4th Ave suite 600,
Seattle, WA 98101 (MAP)
Anna “Mickey” Moritz – Center for Biological Diversity, Seattle
Regina Paulose – International Criminal Law and Human Rights Attorney, Hollywood, FL
6.75 (5.75 Law & Legal Procedure + 1.0 Ethics)
$225 – WPTL members (discount applied at checkout)
$250 – IPS members (please check our biweekly digest sent via our listserv for the discount code)
$275 – Standard/Non-Section Members
Click HERE for registration. Please choose “In-person” or “Webinar” at “Select Attendance Type” and follow the instructions.